Sunday, May 3, 2009

It All Happened Like A Dream.

4pm, leave home. 5.30pm, Bukit Jalil. Concert - 8pm.

Hike 1km to Carrefour in the blazing evening sun.

Dinner at Esquire Kitchen. Wor tip for the very first time. Mmm. Tastes like deep-fried durian.

Hike 1km back with very full tummies to Bukit Jalil.

Gets bag checked.

Snatches poster from unwilling distributor girl (I think they're limited).

Almost gets beat up by RELA man (true story).

Sees dancers putting on their pants jackets.

Sits down. Hot, sweaty. Stares at moon above my head.

Takes lousy pictures. (sorry - was having difficulty breathing)


I'm finally here. Me, Mom and Dad and Pupu (and Ivan somewhere with his stinkin' free tickets).


Yeah I know. I can't believe it either.

China man with swine flu mask (everyone holds their breath) sits beside Pupu. Chinaman gives us large photos of Hubby and requests that we hold it up and wave it for him. Haha funny man. We humour him. He hands us a self-printed programme (like where does he even get this stuff?!).

Yes, I can read the stuff. Believe it or not. XP


Girls at the back: "Eeyerr Uncle, but he is a GUY!"

Dad: "Yerr. Don't scare me la."

Chinaman asked for those photos back when the concert was over can believe or not! And mine was crumpled badly due to my over-enthusiasm o_______0

Sorry, Chinaman.

Opening act begins with Daniel Lee (now DANELL *rolls eyes*) - he sings okay - dancers were blah - he's too pretty for me. Next.

Grown-woman-acting-like-teenybopper in a pink (the most revolting shade) babydoll dress with ridiculous headgear comes onstage. I have now discovered a sound more annoying than Beijing opera. Next. Please.

FINALLY the concert starts.

And it was BEAUTIFUL.

So beautiful, I cried (darn you Shirlynn).

Everything was perfect, but for the sound system (not my baby's fault). The presentation, the kickass fireworks, the man and his axe, the violin, THE PIANO, the drums, his quirky humour, his SINGING (despite how they mutilated his divine voice), his appreciation and bond with his crew/band/whatever - just beautiful. And that buttnaked illustration of Music Man. *sighs contentedly*

Really, there are no words for it.

He came off the stage not once, not twice, but THREE times to allow rabid fans to molest him. So considerate. *swoons*

I swear he came within a couple of seats of me (he's even taller than his poster!!) - I didn't get to high-five him though - stupid people blocking!! Boohoo... But this halter of mine ain't never getting washed. :D And I'll never sign the organ donor card. No. These lungs have breathed his air. (hopefully we traded some lung epithelium)

Even the intermissions were beautiful. The five panels onstage flashed comicbook-style illustrations of Music Man, all very nicely done. I loved the buttnaked part, it titillated me to the point of contracting windpipes. So thank you, O' Unknown Illustrator.

The choice of songs were, without a doubt, immensely satisfying. Classics, hard favourites, dance/hip-hop numbers, the new ones, famed love ballads, and my playlist favourites, which amounted to about 90% of everything.

I screamed my lungs out (and ruptured a couple of vocal chords, I know I did) and sang out loud in Mando (correct pronunciation or not, in tune or not, don't care) and basically scared the heck out of fellow concert-goers in seats J19, J20, J21 and J22. But puh-leeze. If you wanna go to a concert of a lifetime at next-to-prime spots and sit down and cross your legs and act all civilized, then you're at the wrong place. I think you meant to go to the Philharmonic? Yeah, that's at KLCC.

I wasn't even aware I was that loud (the speakers were blaring until I truly couldn't hear myself - so I simply screamed and whooped louder and louder) until Pupu and Dad told me that they were considerably deafer in the ears that were facing my direction. Oh well, you can't blame me. I was excited. And I have had loads of practice (thank you, Coach Lim?). Or maybe it's simply attributed to good genes (Hakka, baby, yeah!).

But back to the concert. The man - is the performer, the entertainer - of a lifetime. He knows how to excite us, interact with us (that's what concerts are all about anyway), tease us, and engage our undivided attention at every turn. Much thanks to Adam Tsuei too of course. One brilliant son of a gun.

The Xiao Huang, Xiao Lu, Xiao Hong stunt (for Gai Bian Zi Ji) - pure genius. I didn't expect him to be able to pull it off just like in the MV - LIVE!!! Oh me, oh my. I can't take it. *overwhelmed by awesomeness*

Oh oh and that disappearing-here-and-reappearing-way-over-there trick!! OMG *swoons again*

Oh oh and his greeting of his fans there from around the world (I was two rows in front of the Japs) in their languages - I loved hearing him speak Thai. And Cantonese. *swoon swoon swoon*

Oh oh oh and I got to see his underpants they were grey and guess what color my socks were yeah I know we're totally meant to be together ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥~

One gets the feeling that all that speculation about his sexual orientation really gets to him - he complained about it cynically in two songs and came out at once point wearing a purple half-skirt... I really feel for him, I do. The poor man lives out of a SUITCASE, for Pete's sake. Do you know how hard it is to find a girl (I'm here!! I'm here!!!) who'd be okay with not seeing him home for months and months? (I'm okay with it! Go ahead! I'd totally understand!!) The man is 33! You think he doesn't wanna settle down already? (OMG pick me! Pick ME!!!) Insensitive prigs.

After he played When You Wish Upon A Star oh-so gorgeously on the violin, he spoke to the audience about what the song meant to him which such heartfelted-ness that I was all teary-eyed... Oh and he called his Bahamut his "bao bei"... Aww. =3

When it all ended I really didn't wanna leave - it all ended too soon, we all wanted more - but of course, my baby gets tired too, you know. And we fans know better than to be slave-drivers of such a gorgeous, crazy-talented dreamy hunk of flaming McMuffin. I know I'm not making sense just bear with me.

Reflecting on it all (this is what I do for everything - EVERYTHING!!! Ni de ai shi wo de EVERYTHING!!!!~) I come to see why he - or any other music artiste means so much to us fans. Music is inside all of us, and we orientate towards a certain kind of music, or artiste that somehow connect to that something inside of us, and it kinda sticks with us and becomes a part of our lives - for me, I'd listen to him when I'm in the shower, bathing the puppies, goofing off, when I feel alone in class, on the bus, or just fall asleep letting it play on loop. The beauty of creating something that appeals to so many people - 25,000++ that night - and have it move them - being able to share all your love and effort put into creating your work with the world - is something that I deeply admire.

He has accomplished so much - something that was but a dream for the child Leehom has become reality today - the present outcome being perhaps even bigger than he had dared to dream of. Seeing him being able to be so brave, so revoluntionary, coming from an academic family, defying tradition, daring to dive into uncharted waters and emerging from it all so brilliantly - is absolutely inspiring.

Leehom, you da man. *hats off* to ya.


***


"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,


























And that has made all the difference."


-Robert Frost

No comments: