Thursday, May 7, 2009

向左走·向右走 - A Chance of Sunshine

Ah, book.


How I doth yearn for you.

I've never really been the reading sort. My last book was Marley & Me and that was eons ago - I'm not complaining; it was beautiful, and it made me cry (see? I cry means it's beautiful =P). You know those last two Harry Potter books I keep telling you I'll read some day? Haven't gotten 'round to it.

But this - 向左走·向右走 (Turn Left, Turn Right) - has captured my attention, perhaps mainly because of the pretty pictures (that's how I judge a good book; I'm so shallow haha) and the fact that it's a kid's book. Heheh.

No, I'm not degrading my IQ; it's received rave reviews (you see how shallow I am? I read REVIEWS) and it has become something of a collector's item among older fans.

In fact, many buyers have stated that this book is in fact NOT suitable for children, as they may not be able to grasp the deeper complexities behind Jimmy Liao's artwork and the emotion in the language and poem used.

The book has spawned a movie adaptation directed by Johnnie To [Sparrow] some time back starring Takeshi Kaneshiro (like how could I not get it right?!) and Gigi Leung, and also has an English version (A Chance of Sunshine).

The reason I'd prefer the Chinese version is the same reason why I choose to watch Ranma in Japanese - even if it's a hassle to read the subtitles, or grab your nearest available Chinese-literate friend to translate it for you (Cathy Tai don't you run away from me!), I still feel it is closest to what the creator originally intended, and thus should be enjoyed that way.

Plus it's a KID'S book for Pete's sake. Don't insult my reading skills. Hmph.

WaFF~

There is a more-available novel version, spanning about a few hundred pages, but it doesn't have the artwork the Creative Edition has - plus I think Cathy would have died of old age before she finishes translating it for me.

Another reason I'd love to get my hands on this book (it's like I'm writing a Standard 4 essay weih) is because Mr. Jimmy Liao is a sap - and the poem he uses here was also written by a sap (Polish poet Wislawa Szymborska - yay for sappy women!), and since I am also a big sap (albeit a closet one) it just really appeals to me. ♥

But, as with everything I fall in love with at first sight, it has an ultra-heavy price tag - almost RM400 (amazon.com), non-inclusive of shipping fees, and I don't think the Creative Edition is available here (if it is oh please oh please let me know). Sigh. If only I could go to Thailand and sprout a coocooberd and be one of those toyboys in Singapore, I'd be able to afford it...

Oh relax would ya. This isn't a very heavy hint for a belated birthday present (although I wouldn't mind, really... here's the ISBN: 9577452035 =P). I'm just feeling particularly materialistic today~

Arghh must wake up early tomorrow and continue slaving... Can't wait for it to be over. Then I will have to slave away for just another 5 more years... Oh noez. *moans*

Goodnight.


***


Images taken from Diana and Kenny's blogs respectively.

Visit Jimmy Liao's webbie here.


***


PS: I know this is all ancient news but I'm not, as Ms. Menon would put it, "hip-hop and happening".

Oh my Lord must date Peter Stimpson tomorrow. Goodnight, I say!

No comments: